Sunday, September 18, 2011

New Year

     The third year at Kimmel Farm has begun, and I can't believe it.  It seems like just yesterday when I was helping to open the school.  I have grown a great deal in my technology abilities over the last several years, and I just keep learning. 
     The beginning of this new year has been busy, but I have a great new class that has caught on quickly to the first grade routine.  I feel like they have learned bunches already.  We spent the first several weeks learning procedures and routines, and now they are like old pros.  They know how to come into the classroom in the morning, unpack, and get ready for their day.  In reading, they have already learned what to do at literacy stations, and we started our stations last week.  I am pleased at how hard they are working when they go to their stations.  At each station, the students have several jobs to complete independently.  While they are working at their stations, I will be working with individual reading groups.  The students have also been learning math stations so that I can pull groups and work with students on a variety of math concepts.  In writing, we have begun our writer's workshop.  We begin each writing session with a mini lesson.  Each mini lesson focuses on a different aspect of writing.  We have also been conducting interviews where the students ask each other questions, and I write down what the student answers.  After our mini lessons in writing, the students have an opportunity to write independently in their journals.  In science, we have been learning about animals and their habitats.  In social studies, we have been learning about rules in our classroom, school, and communities.
     Our days seem to go by so quickly!  I know that it is going to be a fabulous first grade year.